Keeping my cool all summer long is a matter of choosing the right budge-proof products and knowing how to use them. Follow my lead so you look hotter than ever!
Before you begin…
If it’s long lasting make up you want, it’s a must to start with clean, fresh skin. Otherwise your make-up will appear blotchy and uneven.
- Gently cleanse your skin to remove excess oil and grime.
- Exfoliate to revitalize circulation and replace dull, flaky surface skin with a fresh, clean summer glow.
- Toning is essential to close pores, increasing the protection against dust and dirt. This also helps keep those dreadful zits at bay.
- Moisturizing locks in your skins natural suppleness and protects it from the damaging effects of the environment.
Using water-based matte foundation and a dusting of transparent powder gives you the best staying power. Apply your foundation with a damp sponge, starting at your T-zone working outwards. Or take the hassle out of choosing foundation and powder by using a combo compact like …
Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation $31USD
For an oil controlling option try …
Skin Weightless Powder Foundation $52USD
And for a pore minimizing option try…
Mineral Sheers Loose Powder $14USD
Sheer style lips
For sheer looking lips, outline lips with a waterproof pencil like NARS Velvet Lip Liner then blend the edges with a cotton bud and finish by applying lip balm. For a fab liner try…
Velvet Lip Liner $27USD
For a more affordable option try…
Professional Make Up Retractable Lip Pencil $4USD
And for a lip plumping option try…
They’re Real Double The Lip, $12USD
Cheeks that glow
Light hits different areas of your face with differing intensity. It catches the cheekbones first, so to accentuate them you need less color over them and more color under them. A soft, eye-catching glow that enhances the curve of your cheek is what you need in a blusher. MAC Powder Blush in Peaches is a subtle shade that suits most skin types.
Powder Blush in Peaches, $23USD
No drip eye-shadow
To prevent your shadow disappearing into the creases of your eyes, blend your foundation onto your eyelids and always follow with a dusting of transparent powder. This absorbs any moisture and evens out skin color.
Eye pencils are easy to apply because they’re very soft, but some are so soft they melt or run after you put them on. To avoid this, first apply a powder shadow in a color close to that of the pencil. This acts as a base and stops your creamy pencil from running. After drawing a line, blend it into the shadow with the thin slanted brush or the small side of the sponge tip applicator.
Double Wear Stay-in-Place Eyeliner $27USD
Or for a more intense look try …
Quickliner for Eyes Intense Eyeliner Pencil, $27USD
Smudge proof mascara
Trick: Gently dab loose powder onto your lashes before applying mascara. This will make your lashes appear thicker.
Volum’ Express The Falsies Waterproof Mascara, $5USD
For more intense volume without clumping try Dior Diorshow (A firm favorite!)
Diorshow Waterproof Mascara, $30USD
And for your biggest and boldest lashes ever try…
The Monsieur Big Waterproof Mascara, $25USD
Quick Hot Tips
- To freshen your look during the day, spray a mist of Evian water on your face and blot with tissues. This removes any oil build up and resets your make up.
- For stay-put lip color, apply lipstick, then blot gently with transparent powder and remove excess with a large powder brush using gentle strokes – This will give you lasting lipstick all-day-long!
- Use the right tools to apply make-up – Rubbing warm fingers on your skin opens up pores and your skin drinks up twice as much make-up than necessary.
- Use flexible make-up sponges to apply foundation as it gives you a seamless and translucent finish.
- Keep eye and lip pencils in the fridge as they contain wax and melt easily in the hotter months.
- Waterproof mascara can be tricky to take off, so look for eye-make up removers that have this in mind! A good one to try …
Waterproof Eye Makeup Remover With Soothing Cornflower, $16USD