Whether you’re planning a weekend getaway or staying close to home, my beauty mantra for weekends is “less is best”. No base, just tinted moisturiser, a creamy blush on cheeks, neutral eyeshadow and a light coat of mascara for a no-makeup look. The same goes for hair – just shampoo and let it dry naturally. Apply a leave-in conditioner or a styling mousse and pull hair back loosely with bobby pins.
If weekends are your time to exercise and play a sport, you need to take action to avoid skin outbreaks.
Fact: Exercise benefits your skin as it boosts circulation.
- Use a waterproof sunscreen with SPF 15 or higher.
- Wear lip balm to prevent dry, cracked lips. Try Ipsum Lip Oil Balm.
- Use an aluminium-free deodorant such as Arbonne Shea Butter Deodorant; this will help avoid any unpleasant stinging when you perspire.
- If you exercise regularly, get plenty of rest or your skin will look dehydrated and dull.
- Take a relaxing salt bath after exercising to soothe aching muscles and stop sweat pimples.
- If you break out in sweat pimples use a mild exfoliant followed by a mud mask to draw out any impurities.
NO FUSS WEEKEND HAIR
I find that the weekend is a good time to give your hair a break. Use alcohol-free products and stay away from styling tools such as blow dryers and straightening and curling irons.
- Don’t wash your hair on weekends if you can. It is the perfect time to let the natural oils distribute down the hair shaft. If hair is extremely dry, apply a treatment product and tie your hair back.
- Going from day to evening doesn’t mean you need to fuss. Simply apply a styling mousse and sweep hair off the face with pins. You can have a low, side part or a centre parting.
- For a natural wavy look mix a lightweight gel with water and run it through your hair using your fingers. This will prevent frizz.
- Two loosely woven braids are a great casual look. Start by creating an imperfect centre part from front to back. Make two loose braids, leaving lots of loose hair at the ends. When you set these braids free at the end of the day. You’ll have a new wavy look!
BARELY THERE MAKE-UP
Believe it or not, a natural looking make-up is sometimes harder to achieve than a glam look.
I suggest you:
- Keep skin looking transparent by using a tinted moisturiser, or mix a few drops of foundation with your normal moisturiser.
- If you have to…apply translucent powder to the T-zone only.
- To give cheeks a natural looking glow gently apply a cream blush with a damp make-up sponge.
- Apply an iridescent, sand coloured eyeshadow over eyelids or a dab of vaseline to make eyes sparkle.
- To define lashes, apply mascara to the outer top lashes for an instant eye-lift.
- Apply lip-gloss or lipstick using your ring finger for a soft, natural looking finish.
The most important thing to remember when you go outdoors on weekends is to wear a sunscreen, even in cooler weather. I love …La Roche Posay Anthelios Anti-Shine Dry Touch Tinted Sunscreen SPF50+
Posay Anthelios Anti-Shine Dry Touch Tinted Sunscreen SPF50+
Lip Oil Balm
Shea Butter Deodorant